The UNO/OPS Middle College program is one of the five Multiple Pathways of the Omaha Public Schools. Our pathway is an option for high ability learners who are interested in an early transition to post-secondary opportunities in an alternative setting. The program is a joint effort between the Omaha Public Schools, the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and The Sherwood Foundation. Our classrooms are located on campus at the University of Nebraska at Omaha in Kayser Hall.
Many of our students have the ability and talents to be successful academically but have become disengaged in the traditional setting. Issues such as academic pace, school anxiety, social disconnects, family concerns, or needs for a more flexible schedule may have caused the student to need an alternative learning environment. Our aim is to re-engage students through flexibility, individualized learning plans, connections to the University of Nebraska at Omaha, and the opportunity to successfully transition into college.
Students in the Middle College Program are offered instruction from Omaha Public Schools instructors. We follow the OPS Academic Action Plan in all classrooms including instructional framework, coaching, and the use of data to drive excellence. Our students can take all the coursework necessary for graduation from Omaha Public Schools. In addition to taking their high school courses from our instructors, our students can take university level courses at UNO. Students participate in the Early Entry Program through the University of Nebraska at Omaha.
The opportunity to enroll in University Classes as an Early Entry student in the Middle College program is a privilege. A student must be in good academic standing to enroll in a University Class. We expect students to be on track toward graduation without credit deficits. In addition, students must have a positive attendance and behavior record.
1. Complete Early Entry Application.
2. Request a copy of your transcript and shot records from Mrs. McLaughlin or Ms. Pfeiffer.
3. Complete an Early Entry Application Essay. Guidelines for this essay are posted in the flyer mailbox in front of the office. If you have already taken an Early Entry course, please expand your essay to include what you have learned from this first university course experience.
4. Obtain three Letters of Recommendation. Two of these letters must come from UNO/OPS Middle College Staff. There are green flyers in the flyer mailbox that explain how to properly ask for a letter of recommendation. If you have already taken an Early Entry course, please obtain one additional letter of recommendation from one of your university professors. These can be emailed to Mrs. McLaughlin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Complete the College Readiness Assessment. You must also have a parent/guardian complete the assessment and sign and date it. These are also available in the flyer mailbox in front of the office.
Students may qualify for free tuition for their early entry UNO courses by completing the following application through the Access College Early program in the state of Nebraska.
Click here for the application!
A visitor parking map can be found here.